When natural disaster strikes, there is not much you can do. Unfortunately, we cannot prevent storms from happening, we can only take precautions if we hear about it beforehand. Big storms such as hurricanes can cause serious damage. If you are in an area that is prone to hurricanes such as the state of Florida, when you hear about an incoming storm, you should prepare yourself and your family for the worst. Make sure you have food and water (non-perishables). If you are going to be enclosed in your home for a couple of days, have enough supplies to last and just to play it safe, stock up on extra food and hurricane supplies. It may seem like a lot of work, but it is well worth it! The last thing you want is to not have everything you need and/or put yourself in danger. If the storm hits, there is nothing you can do about it. Avoid driving to work or driving for any other reason during a bad storm. Our Orlando accident lawyer at Payer Law Group urges you to have a hurricane plan.
6 Steps For An Effective Hurricane Plan
When a hurricane hits, there are a few steps you should take for an effective hurricane plan. You may not see the benefits of writing down a plan to prepare you, your home, and your family initially, but it is a very good idea! Don’t just keep a list of things to do in preparation in the back of your mind, write them out so you don’t forget anything. A few steps our Orlando accident lawyer suggests you take include:
- Know where to go if you are ordered to evacuate. Make sure you know the evacuation route in your town and it may even be a good idea to follow it before the storm. In this manner, if you do have to evacuate, you will have no have any trouble reaching your destination.
- Gather hurricane supplies. Having a disaster supply kit is perfect for emergencies, even if you don’t use it, you need to have an emergency kit. Some things you should have on hand are flashlights, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
- Stock up on supplies! In reality, you don’t know how long the storm will be around for and you don’t know the extent of damages that it will cause until it does. It is important to prepare for the unknown and have enough supplies to last you a good while.
- Talk to your family and make sure you are communicating! Communication throughout the storm is vital because if there is an issue, you will want to know how to handle it best.
- Secure anything that is outdoors like outdoor furniture. Tie it down or bring it into storage or a garage if your home has the room for it.
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer down to colder temperatures and only open it when necessary. This will provide your food with a longer lifespan should the power go out.
What To Do After Disaster Strikes
When disaster strikes, it can lead to devastating losses. First, you will want to make sure you and your family are safe and not injured. If a storm has caused injury, before even dealing with property damage, see a doctor! Your health is extremely important so do not let is slip away.
When a hurricane is in town, take all of the precautions necessary to ensure you and your family’s safety. Make sure you have plenty of hurricane supplies and for any additional tips, talk with our Orlando accident lawyer at the Payer Law Group. Call us at 407-648-1510 or visit our website! payerlawgroup.com.